Saturday, December 22, 2012

Advent Calendar - Dec 22nd

December 22 – Christmas and Deceased Relatives
Did your family visit the cemetery at Christmas? How did your family honor deceased family members at Christmas?


 When I was growing up, just one of my relatives had died over many years, and certainly no one nearby, so we did not focus on deceased relatives or visit any cemeteries.  As I've mentioned, my family is very spread out, and the only relative who had died was my paternal great-grandfather, Clyde J. Wyman Day in 1973.  His death was not near Christmas, so it didn't get associated with it. 

While more relatives have passed on over the decades, none happened near Christmas, so there's still not an association.  We tend to focus on the living and present people at our Christmas gatherings.  It will be interesting to observe this year, though, as it will be the first Christmas since the death of my father-in-law.


This and all other articles on this blog are © copyright 2012 by Daniel G. Dillman

No comments:

Post a Comment