Thursday, September 15, 2011

52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History - Road Trips

Week 36: Road Trips. Describe a family road trip from your childhood. Where did you go and why? Who was in the car? How did you pass the time?


I remember in particular one road trip.  My parents took us to Mount Rushmore near Rapid City, South Dakota.  At that time, I was about 12, and my youngest brother had not yet been born, so there were just two of us kids.  We stayed at a campground on the hillside overlooking Rapid City.

We spent most of our time on the trip swimming in the pool at the campground.  I remember looking at the city lights at night..  I don't remember how many days we stayed there.  We did visit Mount Rushmore, though I don't think we walked the trails or visited the exhibits.  One other stop we made on that trip was the Corn Palace in Mitchell, South Dakota.  I remember thinking it was over-hyped, a feeling I still hold about it. 

I remember this trip in particular, and a few years ago, made a similar trip with my own kids.  We visited Mount Rushmore, walked the trails and looked at the exhibits, and even watched the night show there.  We also visited Reptile Gardens at Rapid City, and made side trips to a gold mine where we panned for gold, and the Mammoth digs at Hot Springs, South Dakota.  We drove the Needles Highway through the mountains, and rode the 1880 Train to Keystone.  It was a busy week!  There were other stops and activities between home and Rapid City, too.

I hope one day my kids will take their kids on a similar trip.


This and all other articles on this blog are © copyright 2011 by Daniel G. Dillman

No comments:

Post a Comment