Tuesday, September 6, 2011

52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History - Smells

Week 34: Smells. Describe any smells that take you back to childhood. These could be from meals, fragrant gardens, musty basements, or something entirely different.


Well, there are smells that will take me right back, and smells I remember even though you can't smell them anymore. 

For instance on the latter, I remember liking the smell of regular gasoline exhaust.  Regular gas has been gone for decades, so you can't smell that anymore, and unleaded gas exhaust smells different. 

A smell I remember, and which I still come across on occasion is the Church Kitchen.  Usually there's a mix of overdone coffee, several types of  casserole, and so forth.  There can be some variation, but it's instantly recognizable when you smell it.  Must be from the church potluck dinners when I was young.


This and all other articles on this blog are © copyright 2011 by Daniel G. Dillman

No comments:

Post a Comment