Friday, March 4, 2011

Funeral Card Friday - Peter A. Theisen

Peter A. Theisen Funeral Card

This week we have the funeral card for Peter Adam Theisen, my wife's paternal grandfather.  I never met Peter, he died well before I started dating my wife.  She did get to know him before he died.

Interesting things about this card: The scalloped edges are unusual in the collection I have.  It's not printed, it's actually pressed into the paper giving a 3-D pattern.  At the bottom we see:
SUPERIOR
CLEVELAND O.
PRINTED IN ITALY

It's interesting that the product was imported from Italy when it could easily have been done here in the United States.  It's also interesting in that of all of the cards I have, I think this is the only one that is labeled as to where it was printed.  The reverse side has artwork as usual:



Two selections of highly symbolized art.  For being Jewish, these Joseph and Mary images are two of the whitest people I've seen.  But then, a huge amount of Christian art has been very westernized in style, so picking on these cards in particular seems petty.  That might be fodder for a very different blog.

Funeral Card Friday is a genealogy meme created by Dee Welborn of Funeral Cards & Genealogy and has been an ongoing series in the Geneablogger community.  If you're interested in funeral cards, I strongly recommend you visit her blog!  (Blurb shamelessly stolen from Thomas McEntee at Geneabloggers!)

No comments:

Post a Comment