Friday, March 4, 2011

Fearless Females - Marriage Records


March 4 — Do you have marriage records for your grandparents or great-grandparents? Write a post about where they were married and when. Any family stories about the wedding day? Post a photo too if you have one.

Alas, marriage records are documents I do not yet have for my grandparents or great-grandparents.  Even marriage photos are scarce.  I do have this one of my paternal grandparents:

Estel Elmer Dillman and Alta May Day, married 02 Feb 1931 in Beadle County, South Dakota.
Estel and Alta were married in Beadle County, South Dakota, probably in Huron.  Alta lived with her father at Sheffield, a few miles away, and after they were wed, the couple built a small house on the south end of the Clyde W. Day farm at Sheffield.   They lived in that house until WWII when Estel re-enlisted in the Navy, and Alta moved back in with her father.  The little house was torn down to re-use the materials.

The picture was hand colored by my grandmother.  She did that with a number of portraits, more of which I will be sharing in future posts.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful photo, did your Grandmother do the colorizing for a studio or as a hobby for herself? I have few hand colored and they have always intrigued me. Thanks for sharing.
    Cheri Hopkins, Those Old Memories

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far as I am aware, she only did it as a hobby on her own pictures. She did more than one portrait of each of her kids as well. I'm sure those will show up here eventually as well. Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete