Sunday, March 6, 2011

Fearless Females - Heirlooms

March 6 — Describe an heirloom you may have inherited from a female ancestor (wedding ring or other jewelry, china, clothing, etc.) If you don’t have any, then write about a specific object you remember from your mother or grandmother, or aunt (a scarf, a hat, cooking utensil, furniture, etc.)


I will inherit my paternal grandmother's (Alta May (Day) Dillman) china set.  I remember it from visiting her when I was very young, and it goes back much further than that, to the 1940's if I remember correctly.  It's hand painted, Franciscan branded.  When I did some checking a few years back, the pattern was still available.  I have not yet inherited it even though my grandmother died back in 1992 because my parents still have it and occasionally use it.  So, technically, I will inherit it from my parents, but I still associate it with my grandmother.  Each of my brothers have also chosen particular items they would like to inherit, and for once, there was no conflict between us as to who wanted what!  

My wife has an heirloom from a female ancestor, a ring that was shown in a previous post.

No comments:

Post a Comment