Monday, March 14, 2011

52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History - Illness and Injury

Week #11 – Illness & Injury Week 11: Illness and Injury. Describe your childhood illnesses or injuries. Who took care of you? Did you recuperate in your own bed, on the couch in front of the television, or somewhere else?  


I never really had any serious illness when I was a kid.  Oh, I had the usual run of colds and flu, and chicken pox, but really nothing requiring hospitalization or more than a few aspirin and chicken soup.

I only had a serious injury once, and at that, we were not sure how serious.  I was not quite three years old, or so I'm told.  I got a ride on the back of someone's bike, I can't even remember whose at this point.  Somehow during the ride, my leg got caught in the back wheel, causing us to crash and hurting my leg.  We visited a doctor, who took x-rays to see if it was broken.  The x-rays were inconclusive, so they put me in a cast up over my knee anyway to be sure.  What few memories I have of this are very vague at this distance, but I do remember wearing the cast and some inconveniences it caused.  My mother was my caretaker for all of that.

That's it.  No other breaks or sprains or anything worse than a cold or flu.  I was a healthy kid who preferred reading to sports, so I tended to avoid those kinds of injuries.  When I was sick enough to stay home from school, I parked on the couch with books and the TV for the day.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Daniel,

    Just wanted to let you know that I've been enjoying your blog. I'm nominating you for the One Lovely Blog award!

    See my entry here for your badge and acceptance rules if you choose to pass it on. --Kathryn

    http://kathrynsquest.blogspot.com/2011/03/one-lovely-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathryn! Welcome, and thank you so much for both the kind words and the nomination. I will take a look at the rules and proceed accordingly. I'm glad you're enjoying my blog, and thanks for letting me know. As you surely understand, sometimes we bloggers wonder if anyone is really out there...

    ReplyDelete